IBM ThinkPad 560Z and OpenBSD 3.6-current

This machine was retired from duty while running OpenBSD 3.6-current. It has been replaced with a ThinkPad X40.

My ThinkPad 560Z originally came with 64MB RAM and 6GB disk. So far I have replaced the disk with a 20GB. The CPU is a Pentium II, 300 Mhz. The system has no onboard CD or floppy drive, making it extremely thin and portable while being an excellent system for coding and general writing.

For speed I mount all partitions with softdep and noatime.

Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0a     387M    21M   347M     6%    /
/dev/wd0i     7.8G    36M   7.3G     0%    /home
/dev/wd0h     581M   5.0K   552M     0%    /tmp
/dev/wd0d     5.8G   263M   5.3G     5%    /usr
/dev/wd0f     991M   1.0K   942M     0%    /usr/obj
/dev/wd0e     1.9G   1.0K   1.8G     0%    /usr/src
/dev/wd0g     387M   6.2M   362M     2%    /var

USB appears to work, but as you can see, none of my USB devices (Wacom Graphire & Archos Jukebox 6000) were supported when I tried attaching them (the machine was running 3.1 or 3.2 at the time):

uhid0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
uhid0: WACOM ET-0405-UV1.1-1, rev 1.00/1.11, addr 2, iclass 3/1
uhid0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
uhid0 detached
ugen0 at uhub0 port 1
ugen0: In-System Design USB Storage Adapter, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
ugen0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
ugen0 detached

Suspend works quickly and reliably when pressing Fn+F4. Sound works but the quality of the soundchip leaves something to be desired. No, it is not just the speakers. I plugged in my Sennheiser 570 and the sound was horrible.

XFree 4.2.0 runs at 800x600 at 16bpp. I would have preferred 1024x768 as I would have been able to fit 4 terminals on a desktop. Also, while the chipset supports 24bpp, the speed difference between 16 and 24 is substantial. I guess you cannot have everything.

For wireless network access I use a NetGear MA401. Works just fine with dstumbler as well.

I have an IBM EtherJet 10/100 cardbus which showed up as dc0, but I am now using a Xircom which shows up as xe0. The IBM card was giving me very poor performance so either the card is broken, or the dc0 driver is.

The RTC does not impress me. Running ntpd shows the kind of initial drift it had to deal with, and figure two shows day to day time adjustments, with a massive drift being visible around the 660th adjustment. The machine had been offline, but powered on, from Thursday morning to Sunday evening at that particular time.